Monday, June 30, 2008

I get carsick...and train sick...and boat sick.






Today, we went out to the Tigre. It is a town along the coast of Argentina. To get there, we had to take a couple of trains. I have never ridden a train before so I was excited about it! Well, we boarded the first train. What I had pictured to be a glamorous, cushion-seated, reclining seats train was in reality a dirty, uncomfortable form of public transportation. I, however, was still excited, until the train started moving. It was in that moment that I realized this was going to be an hour-long bumpy ride. Those of you who know me well and have traveled with me know that I get carsick pretty easily. Needless to say, I pulled out an empty plastic bag from my backpack just in case. Luckily, we didn't ride on this train too long before we switched to El Tren de la Costa (a more tourist-friendly train that actually does have comfortable seats and curtains on the windows). Also, I left my sweater on the train...my favorite gray sweater. I'm very sad...and cold.

Once we got there, we rode a boat along the delta. Well...SURPRISE! I get boat sick as well. But...I was able to hold it all in long enough to get to our destination. It was so fun today to experience a different part of Argentina. It was so peaceful out by the water and I loved looking at all the boats. Plus, we had really good fellowship with our family and a couple of friends, Pedro and Andres.

And now..for the TERRIBLE NEWS: The Subte workers are on strike. This means none of the subways are running. Just as Val and I were starting to feel that we belonged here and could get around like competent members of a city of 14 million, our preferred form of transportation has to go on strike! We DEFINITELY have not mastered the bus systems yet and our bank accounts will not like if we use taxis all the time. It should be an interesting time until the strike is over. I hope it is soon. This is good news for you faithful blog readers. I can definitely guarantee you some funny 'lost-in-the-big-city' stories.

Well...that's all for now!

peace. love. subte strike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can picture your face on the train and boat--white as a sheet! Get some non-drowsy Dramamine if you do either of these again! Sorry about the subte! I'll pray the strike is over soon and that you and Val will be safe however you may travel! Love you, MOM