Monday, June 9, 2008

Mission: Possible!





Yes, believe it...I have conquered the Subway! Valerie and I rode the subway system today and switched trains twice successfully. Basically, I'm a pro at living in the big city soon and should be completely self-sufficient on any public transportation in any city worldwide. Just kidding. But seriously, you should have seen us today!

Mondays are days off for the Valdez family and, therefore, days off for Val and I as well. We went out to Plaza de Mayo this morning. It is basically the political and historical district of Buenos Aires. The Casa Rosada is there. It is where the president works. It is much like the White House, but the President doesn't live there. We also saw Catedral Nacional and some other federal buildings. This plaza is also where Big Ben is (No, not the real Big Ben. Clearly, that is in England). The British gave this model of Big Ben to Argentina, so it looks pretty similar. The Casa Rosada is also where Evita addressed the working class, and the location for Madonna's famous rendition of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina!" Those pictures are here for you to see!

Tonight, we went to a movie with the family. We saw Made of Honor. Movies here are in English with Spanish subtitles. So...I was able to understand it. Also, I read most of the subtitles to learn some Spanish! Then, we played DDR at the arcade in the mall. It was so fun!

Well, tomorrow is Valerie's 22nd birthday! Actually, it is already happening here since it's past midnight! So...FELIZ CUMPLEANOS, VALERIA! I think tomorrow will be a fun day!! =)

1 comment:

Wes and Ellen said...

Hannah,

So excited for you! My summer spent in BA was possibly the best summer of my life. I am so happy that you are able to experience it. While I was there I worked with the Villa Urquiza church. If you meet anyone from Urquiza tell them hello for me. Hopefully they will have some clue who you're talking about.

Another cool place to visit down town is the Teatro Colon. It is a beautiful theater.

Well, enjoy every moment this summer that side of the globe. I pray Christ will be seen in you.

Wes