Saturday, June 7, 2008

My blood pressure is at the maxi when I'm riding in a taxi!

Oh wow! The streets here are out of control!! In the past two days, I have ridden in 4 taxis and 4 buses. Each time I get in one, I just close my eyes and say a little prayer. I can't watch the road or any other cars around me because the vehicles get so close to one another. My heart basically stops beating every time I look. The streets have no lanes; they just fit as many cars right next to each other as they can. I mean, I know I'm not the best driver, but I have NEVER been that close to another car!

Anyways, there are many things to note from today and yesterday. Everyday is such a cultural and spiritual adventure. I'm going to make a list and briefly describe each. Hopefully, this doesn't become a 3-page post.

Running in the park: Valerie and I decided to start running at a park about 3 blocks away from the house. We went yesterday morning for the first time only to find that this park is rather small and doesn't really have a good layout for running. We still decided to run since we wanted to exercise. We ran kind of in a zig zag pattern, probably 10 laps in like five minutes. Apparently, people don't run anywhere in this neighborhood. Maybe we'll try to find a new place!

Argenchina: For lunch yesterday, we ate at an Asian vegetarian place in Argentina. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet...very interesting! Don't think I'll be going there again. Steak, por favor!

Grocery shopping: We went to the supermercado with Laura yesterday. It was the biggest one I've ever seen and even had an escalator in the store! You can bet Val and I were snapping pictures left and right. (I've posted some). Laura may not ever take us anywhere again! Haha!

Recoleta: Today, we went to an arts and crafts fair in another part of the city. I bought a hat and a ring and found a lot of other souvenirs that I'm going to buy later! Here, we also went to a cemetery where lots of rich and famous people of Argentina are buried, like Eva Peron (Evita). The design of the tombs and memorials is incredible! (I've posted some pictures of that as well, but the photos just don't do it justice).

These are just a few of the funny and wonderful memories from the last couple of days! Tomorrow, we are going to Sunday morning service for the first time! I'm excited! More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hannah B,
It sounds like you are having a wonderful experience while also doing great work. I know you are a huge blessing to those with whom you come into contact. (Just don't have contact that is TOO CLOSE in that crazy traffic!!) Fear of the local traffic seems to be a common theme of every mission trip report I have ever heard! I'm praying for your safety in the taxis, in the subways,...and the rest of the time, too! (Might as well cover everything! Ha!) Keep enjoying the adventure and seeking God's will for your work. I'll be reading your posts and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I am very proud of you.
Love and miss you lots,
Judy