Friday, June 6, 2008

Medienda = Sonic Happy Hour



Yesterday, I went out for my first ever medienda. Medienda is like tea time in Britain, but here people get coffee, tea, or mate and sometimes a little snack (medialunas). Laura, Marisa, Valerie, and I went out for medienda. I got a cappuchino and some medialunas (To the right, you will see a picture documenting my first ever medienda). And for those of you who are wondering, yes I do drink coffee now. I also drink tea and mate and eat lots of things that I don't eat in the states normally. As Valerie always tells me, "This is a growing summer for you". I feel like medienda is like Sonic Happy Hour. It is the pick-me-up you need in the late afternoon to be able to make it through all the night's activities. So, I'm feeling right at home! haha!

Yesterday was a good day. We were able to relax some and really spend time with our mom, Laura, and sister, Marisa. We had such great conversations. (To the right is a pic of Valerie, Marisa, and me after our medienda). It is such a blessing to be living with the Valdez family. We already feel right at home with them and we are able to be so open and honest with each other. There is never a dull moment with 5 women, 1 man, and 1 bathroom! =)

Each day gets a little better as far as understanding and speaking Spanish goes. Last night, we had a Spanish cell group. I was able to understand a lot at the beginning, but got a little lost after the first hour because focusing so hard on understanding the words is exhausting! Valerie and I are starting our Spanish tutoring next week. We have a woman who teaches ESL here in Argentina coming to the house for 3 hours a week. I am excited about this opportunity and look forward to being able to speak more and more! Continue to pray for us! Pray that God would help us overcome the language barrier and open doors for us to minister through actions more than words! Love you all!

1 comment:

Spencer said...

Hannah Anna, I love the posts! That's great y'all had a 2 mile detour around the city. Lol. You only do that a few times before you learn to double check the trains! :)

Keep enjoying the MERIENDAS! I miss a good "café con leche" and a "medialuna"!!

PS get Laura to let y'all listen to the CD we recorded last summer(winter)!