Saturday, June 28, 2008

AGUAFIESTAS!!!



Aguafiestas is my second favorite Spanish word. I learned it in the Spanish class Valerie and I audited last semester. When we read it, we thought it meant a pool party. It actually means "party pooper" we found out. Tonight at the youth Bible study, we were performing some skits based on James 4-5. One guy, Daniel, was acting in the play. Daniel speaks fast and normally I don't even try to understand him because it's a lost cause, but tonight I was listening to him enough to catch that wonderful word: aguafiestas. I turned to Valerie, and we immediately started laughing. We had forgotten about our word until tonight. Don't you worry, Harland Rall (that's our Spanish teacher), we WILL be using that word for the remainder of the summer.

Well, here's what I've been up to since last I blogged:

Pool-- I played pool with some people from church. It was fun. My teammate, Philip, and I won two games in a row (mostly because of him).

Noche de Pelicula--Last night, we had a movie night up at the church. We watched 'Facing the Giants' on the big screen in the auditorium. This is a low-budget football movie made by a group of Christians. The first time I saw it, I will have to admit, I laughed the whole time. The terrible acting and message of the movie all seemed a little cheesy to me. However, last night, I was extremely moved by it. The main message is "Nothing is impossible with God". This message spoke volumes to me last night. This promise has been proven true time and time again this summer in Buenos Aires. NOTHING is impossible with God.

Women's Group--Today, we hosted the women's group Bible study at our house. We talked about being good wives and appreciating the good things about your husband so that the little negative things don't seem like such a big deal. Clearly, I'm not a wife, but it was still such a wonderful experience to be with these women of God and learn from their experiences. I actually understood most of what they were saying and really feel like God opened my ears to allow me to hear and comprehend the messages they were saying. The women of this church are incredible wives, mothers, and servants. I am learning a lot from them.

Youth Group -- Tonight was our weekly Saturday night youth Bible study. We've been studying in the book of James and tonight was the final night of this study. We worked in small groups to come up with skits that portrayed the main messages of several passages in James. It was great! After youth group, we went out for some pizza with a lot of friends. I love being with the youth group! It is so interesting to me. I've only been here 25 days and these people are family to me. I look at them and I truly love and care about them. It's incredible that you can fall in love with a place and its people in such a short time, but I truly have.

Coffee time-- After youth, Valerie, Marisa (one of my sisters), and I went out for coffee. We had such wonderful conversation and I really felt the presence of God with us as we lifted each other up. Once again, it is incredible that I can love someone so much after only 25 days. Marisa is my sister and I am so blessed by the time we have spent together. It is incredible how God brings people together at perfect times! =) I look forward to much more time with my sisters!

Well, I'm off to bed. Tomorrow is church and then off to the ZOO!

No comments: