Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Taste of the USA





Today, I went to the one and only Starbucks in Argentina! We have walked/ridden past it several times and the line has always been out the door. We've decided every time that it isn't worth it to wait in line just to get Starbucks coffee. Today, however, we went to Starbucks to buy a mug (they say Argentina on them and so we wanted one as a souvenir). If you just buy a mug, you don't have to wait in the long line. But, believe it or not, there was NO LINE! So...we bought our mugs and got to sit down and enjoy a vainilla latte. Valerie ordered a grande and I ordered a tall, but they rang up at the stame price. I tried to ask in Spanish about the price. Turns out they had under-charged Val. I didn't really care about the price, but I wanted to figure it out. So...they told me (in Spanish) that they would go ahead and give me the grande for the same price as the tall since that's what they did for Valerie. I said okay. Instead, they gave me BOTH the tall AND the grande, for the price of only a tall. So...basically, I had a venti size drink, for the price of a tall. Fabulous!

Yesterday, I was reminded once again that the lyrics to the song are in fact true: "It's a small world after all". I met for lunch with two girls I went to high school with. They had been studying in Mendoza, Argentina for six weeks and were in BA for a few days before heading back home. We were able to meet up and have lunch and share our experiences in Argentina with each other. It was so wonderful to have a little taste of home!

In other news, we have our English cell group tonight at this house. This is my favorite night of the week. There are so many different people that come to the house and we share a meal and a Bible study together. These people have become like family to me and I always look forward to growing with them. All the Bible studies we do here each week have been such a blessing to me. I am constantly in the Word by myself and with other people. It is incredible the new things God can show you even through passages you've read a million times when you read them with new people who bring new experiences to the table. Everyone here has a story, and my faith has benefited from listening to those stories. I can only pray that my story has possibly been a blessing to someone else's faith.

That's all for now. I've got to go help get dinner ready for tonight. Enjoy the pics! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hannah B! -

I finally got around to reading your blog. I have been a pathetic, unsupportive aunt this summer - wrapped up in my own kids' summmer stuff. I sat down and read the blog tonight after VBS . It sounds like you are having an amazing time. What a wonderful experience. It sounds like you are learning alot about another culture and language while learning how God's love, mercy and grace is found in every corner of the world. Stay safe and continue to document all of these awesome experiences. We love you!

Aunt Tere

Spencer said...

Hannah Anna! I enjoyed talking yesterday on the phone!

I'm jealous there's a starbucks now in BsAs! During my semester in Uruguay, we had no starbucks until we took out spring break trip to Santiago Chile and had it at a mall there! Haha. I like Argentina café better anyways!

Keep on keeping on!

peace.love.crappy cell phone signals that connect two people over a 5300mile distance.