Monday, July 7, 2008

SKADOOSH!




Wow! It has been a wonderful couple of days since the Quincenera--a couple of very tired days, but nonetheless wonderful!

Saturday, we went up to the building to say goodbye to Les, Pat, and Ruth (3 LST workers from Washington) and to welcome Jeff, Tina, Ben, and Kristin (workers from Tennessee). It was a wonderful time of fun and fellowship with old and new friends. Saturday evening, we went to the youth Bible study as normal. We sang "Dios Es Amor" again. It wasn't as beautiful as the first time (everyone got a little bit off key and tempo), but the message still rang loud and clear. I am learning many things this summer, but probably the biggest lesson I am learning is how to love my brothers and sisters. I am learning how to love in the happy times, sad times, times of struggle, and times of great rejoicing--to love unconditionally just as God has loved us.

Last night, we threw a "surprise" party for our friend Pedro here at the house. I say "surprise" because the intention for a surprise was there, but it didn't work out. I guess we haven't quite conquered the language barrier to tell people here that they aren't supposed to BRING the guest of honor with them in a big group. Oh well...it's the thought that counts, right? We had a meal together, ate cake, and went to see Kung Fu Panda. My favorite part of the evening was Pedro's prayer before our meal. He prayed thanking God for his "family" which really meant the group of young people present. I was so overwhelmed with emotion at this moment because his words are true--these people are my family. It is hard to put into words how I feel about these people and this place. It is hard to put such strong emotion into words and make it translate over a blog to all of you. It is an interesting bond you share when you come to a foreign country completely vulnerable to the people there. Not to mention, the relationships we have are ones that involve serious faith issues and praying and struggling together. There are moments of rejoicing, there are moments of lamenting, but we pass through all of them together. There is a mutual desire for spiritual wisdom and growth. It is unlike anything I have ever experienced. This is right where I need to be! Thank you all for helping me get here!

I'd like to end this post with a quote from Henri Nouwen. I had to read In the Name of Jesus for a Maymester class and I found this quote and found it be so relevant to my work here:
"The knowledge of Jesus' heart is a knowledge of the heart. And when we live in this knowledge, we cannot do other than bring healing, reconciliation, new life, and hope wherever we go. The desire to be relevant and successful will gradually disappear, and our only desire will be to say with our whole being to our brothers and sisters of the human race, 'You are loved.'"

Please pray that I will continue to surrender myself to God's plan, that I will rid myself of the desire to be relevant and successful. Please pray that I am able to look my brothers and sisters in the eyes and say, "You are loved" and that I will constantly display that love through my actions.

3 comments:

Spencer said...

I'm definitely coming to your veintedoseañera!! :)

I completely know what you mean about loving others. I'm so glad you notice and appreciate it before you come back to the states. Hold onto that as long as you can because it's such a blessing and something I long to be back around every day!

Y'all are great!

Jerms said...

This is a great quote! I like it alot! Great to hear that things are going well with your "family"!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and the wonderful spiritual experience you are having. God is giving you so many opportunities to grow in your faith and in your relationship with Him. I wish I could be there and experience it myself. Love you and Val!

MOM