Thursday, July 10, 2008

A "puzzling" experience

Oh man...sorry for the lame-o title. If I could explain how long I sat pondering all sorts of alliteration-filled titles for this blog, you would be ashamed that I wasted so much of my life on such a meaningless task. I'm sure you are all also ashamed that after all the hours thinking and reflection, I have only been able to summon up this worthless title. Please forgive me, and please continue reading. =)

Last night, I had the blessing of interacting with a little girl, Maya, during our cell group time. She was trying to put together a puzzle on the floor. The puzzle was of the English alphabet with a corresponding animal to each letter. Maya was having a considerable amount of trouble putting the pieces together and me being the future educator that I am just couldn't stand to watch her struggle through it alone. So I sat down on the floor and said, "Puedo ayudarte? (Can I help you)" She nodded her head and gave me a big smile. I didn't want to put it together for her (I mean, I wanted to), but I wanted her to figure it out for herself. I sat down and began to ask her questions about the picture on the box and helped her decide how to recreate it with the pieces on the floor. It was awesome how I was able to communicate through Spanish words, English words, hand gestures, and pictures. Her face when we finished the puzzle was priceless! We went through the different pictures one at a time and she said the animal in Spanish and I said it in English. It was so fun to share our languages with one another and work together to complete a project that would have been simple for two people speaking the same language!

Tonight, I went to a birthday party for Dario. He is definitely one of my favorites here (I know, I shouldn't have favorites, but if you met Dario, you'd know why). Dario is one of the funniest men I know and I only understand about half of what he says. He walks around the church everyday singing at the top of his lungs and dancing with an imaginary partner. He always speaks whatever English he knows to Valerie and I and is always willing to lend a helping hand. Tonight, I was so honored to be able to celebrate his birthday with him. I talked with him for about an hour (all in Spanish...hold your applause, please). We talked about his childhood and how he became a Christian. It was so great to get to know him on a deeper level and to practice my Spanish.

Before I end this blog post, I just wanted to write something I've been thinking a lot about and that has been placed on my heart a lot while I've been here. I've been reading 1 John, which is one of my favorite books of the Bible. I've been reflecting a lot on 1 John 3:16- "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for one another." What is love? It says right here clearly that love is dying to ourselves so that others may live. Is my lifestyle allowing others to fully live? Or am I wrapped up in my selfish desires and wants so much that it cripples others? Am I, through my words and actions, allowing others to experience life to the fullest? This is love. This is God's perfect love.

1 comment:

Sallie said...

Wow! I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to hop on a plane and join you! I told Dad the other day, "I'd like to go somewhere where the church just clings to one another...where the spiritual things really take precedence over earthly things." Of course, I think this might come in an area where Christians are a minority, Christians are persecuted, Christians are poor, etc. Am I ready for that? If God ever calls me for that, I hope I will be ready to say "Yes!"