Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Yo Amo Buenos Aires!!



So..I hope you enjoy this first picture. We happened upon these shirts on the street today. We are quite possibly the most annoying tourists ever. As if we couldn't get any cheesier, we decided to wear them at the same time, with our hair in pigtails to our cell group tonight. Needless to say, everyone was entertained.

In other news, Valerie and I had a wonderful time in Mar del Plata! We are now back safely in Buenos Aires. Can you believe it? The two crazy gringas made it to a location 6 hours away and back safely all by ourselves? Thanks for the prayers! =)

We did a lot of fun things, but my favorite, by far, was our visit to the cathedral in the city. I walked in and was immediately overcome with emotion. The gothic architecture was completely breathtaking and there was the most glorious organ music playing. I have been in a few different cathedrals here in the past 6 weeks, and I have to say, my heart rejoices every time.

Now, I have always been one who doesn't see the need for ornate decorations or expensive things in the church. Personally, I think the building you meet in doesn't need to be huge or beautifully decorated--that money can often be used for something different. However, I have learned something from the cathedrals. I think, as Protestant Christians, in our quest to simplify and modernize our buildings, we lose a sense of reverence that the Catholic churches have maintained. I feel like our churches are focused on community and making church feel like a house where people can be comfortable and genuine. I think this is so important, don't get me wrong. I love the images of God as Father and best friend and I love going to church with the realization that I'm entering into my home with my family. I'm glad that I can bring my messy self with all of my struggles to my family in the house of God. However, I think too often we forget that this same God has the power to destroy and He determines our eternal dwelling. THAT is a God to fear, a God who deserves our utmost reverence and respect. Being in these cathedrals (where everything is silent and serene and the utmost respect is given to God) has really made me think. Is there a way to create an environment in our churches that harbor both the "home-y" and "holy ground" feels?

3 comments:

Wes and Ellen said...

Hannah,

Thanks for sharing with us the tensions you are wondering about between hominess and holiness. I think you have hit on something significant.

There are most definitely some beautiful cathedrals in B.A. What else did you do on your excursion?

Sallie said...

Hey, Hanks! What beautiful pictures of the cathedral. Which side...homey or holy would snapping flash pictures fall on (just kidding!!!) I love the insights you are discovering and can't wait to talk about lots of things when you get home! Love you, MOM

Anonymous said...

Hannah B.,
I know exactly what you mean about the "homey-ness" vs. "holiness"....I felt something very similar when I was in a cathedral in Dublin. I think the sheer history of where you are standing is overwhelming, too. Those places are hundreds of years old, and are filled the spirituality of all those saints who worshipped there. It is awesome...By the way, Mom printed out your email to her so that I could read it. I SO hope that you get to come and spend a few days with us. We would LOVE to have you...Take care. Love you, Aunt Katina