Saturday, July 19, 2008

Honesty isn't ALWAYS the best policy...




One thing I've noticed about this culture: they are very honest. I love honesty and consider myself to be a pretty straight-forward person, but I also have something that we in the United States like to call, tact. The people here are VERY complimentary. If they like your hair or your clothes or think you are really pretty, they'll be sure to tell you. However, the same honesty and straightforwardness applies on days when you're not looking so hot. Yesterday, my friends, was one of those days. I'm sick again (this time with a sinus infection). I'll just be honest and tell you that yesterday I was looking a mess. Normally, in the states, when I'm not looking my best, I still have precious friends who tell me I look great (I always know they are lying, but I appreciate the attempt to make me feel better). Yesterday, I told my friend Pedro I was sick, to which he responded, "I can tell". Strike one. Then, he asked me if I had showered that morning. I said no, and he said, "Yes, I can tell. Your hair is very dry". Strike two. I then proceeded to tell him that in the United States, people don't say things like that to each other. He replied, "We are in Argentina." Strike three.

I guess I need to look my best everyday here. FAT CHANCE. What's more realistic is to appreciate that I am close enough to these people for them to be completely honest with me.

In other news, the reality that my time here is coming to an end set in tonight. Next Saturday, we have a special event we're hosting at the church, so the normal Saturday youth Bible study isn't happening. Because of that, tonight was our last Saturday night youth Bible study. We still have Tuesday nights, but tonight marked the end of one of things I have come to love dearly. It also marked the end of soccer. Since we have the special event next Saturday, we will also not be playing soccer afterward. So..I had to accept the fact that tonight was my last time at both of these things I have come to love participating in here. It was sad.

But, I'm thankful that I still have 2 weeks left here, and I plan on making the most of every opportunity in that 2 weeks! There is more to learn, more to teach, and more to share! Praise God!

P.S. I scored the winning goals for my team in two separate matches tonight in soccer. U.S.A!!! haha!

No comments: